CDF led the successful consortium chosen by the BIG Lottery Fund in 2011 to set up and manage a new organisation to run the new independent charitable Local Trust, which was endowed with £200m of BIG lottery funding.
Big Local is a long term innovative programme that aims to achieve lasting change in 150 areas in England. It provides a mixture of funding, finance and support. It seeks to enable people who live in the areas to build on local talents and aspirations so they can identify and act on their own needs to make their areas even better places to live, both now and years to come.
Local communities drive Big Local in their area. The programme supports, challenges, trains and encourages people to develop and drive Big Local in their area. There is a unique programme of activity in each area based on local needs, although these all share the Big Local programme outcomes.
Big Local supports communities to identify issues and plan and develop solutions. This provides a sustainable approach to long-term issues and ultimately creates even better places to live. Big Local aims to achieve the following outcomes:
- Communities will be better able to identify local needs and take action in response to them
- People will have increased skills and confidence so that they can continue to identify and respond to local needs in future
- The community will make a difference to the needs it prioritises
- People will feel that their area is an even better place to live
Big local is currently involved with CDF’s research team playing a key role in supporting learning and evaluation.
CDF’s worked in consortium with the following organisations to establish Local Trust:
- Capacity Global
- Institute for Voluntary Action Research
- National Association for Neighbourhood Management
For more information on how Big Local will work please visit the Local Trust website.